Saturday, July 4, 2009

Fourth of July

I am having a fabulous Fourth of July. While I type this up, I am watching celebrations on television (which I really love.) It was a fun filled day. First, Mom,Dad, and I went to Nevada City for a growers market. (We really loved the nectarines and peaches, as you can see in the photograph.)



The Nevada County Parade was hosted by Grass Valley this year.
I have to say how much I enjoyed sitting on the curb of Main Street, watching the veterans, firetrucks, classic cars, jr high bands,rodeo horses, gymnastic groups, old military vehicles, food co-op groups, and the Ophir prison marching band pass.






Some things never change.... Scouts selling cold drinks.
Dad let these boys know what troup started it all years ago. I am sure that they appreciated it :)


At Dad's behest, we had a picnic of pasties at the Northstar Mine park.



Our evening was spent with old time good friends. (Really, a sweet woman introduced me to her daughter-in-law by telling my birth weight and premature birth story.) I loved celebrating in my hometown with Mom and Dad.
It was a really great day.
(Thanks to my iphone, I could document today. I forgot my real camera.)

6 comments:

Paige said...

I love your blogs of our old stomping grounds. They always make me feel warm and fuzzy and think of the good old days back home. You are so lucky to still be able to enjoy so much of it. Actually, you probably get to enjoy it even more now than we did as kids.

Lissy Sarvela said...

Seriously, I LOVE these photos....with them comes a flood of childhood memories. I am jealous. I would love to spend a similar 4th of July with our cool mom and dad. Lucky girl!!! thanks for sharing.

laura kate said...

remember the reserved seats in front of grandpa's music store. looks like you still managed a good spot even without that. i didn't know dad went, what a fun treat.

RC Cola said...

I love small town parades and celebrations. We did the same thing in Westwood this year -our small little mountain town in norcal.

Lisa said...

I miss Nevada County and I'm feeling so sentimental (I hate to admit a bit jealous too) seeing these incredible pictures (from a phone????). I often wonder what Grandma (Laura) Ukena would say to today's technology. I love that you stay close to your/our roots, Bec. And, what a handsome couple, Mr. & Mrs. Sanders! Love you! Aunt Lisa

Adam said...

excellent job capturing the essence of the grand occasion. so many memories.