Thursday, March 12, 2009

Budapest - train- Prague

Limerick for today:
While walking through Pest in the rain,
Two lovelies said, "Let's take a train,"
So a bit water-logged,
They headed for Prague,
Where they strolled through the rain once again.

(P.S)







Our walk through Budapest, to the train station was really enjoyable. I love getting oriented in a city. It makes me feel like less of a tourist. I like to pretend I'm a local. Although, I think our bright colored clothing and sunny demeanor gives us away. (Everyone wears black and I haven't seen many smiles.)
Our train was quiet and enjoyable until the last hour. The 6 person cabin was packed with a variety of people, languages, and odors - not to mention the metal flask passed around. Ah, Europe in all your glory!
We've noticed the increase of good looking men in Prague. Any ideas why?
We've had nice interactions with other tourists while offering to take pictures. We're small in numbers, but we are all eager and happy to help each other.
Dinner tonight was amazing! The warm interior beckoned us in from the rain. I am so glad we chose this place. The potato soup (broth based) was divine. I was full from that and the cheese rolls before my entree even arrived. Can you just imagine the rest of the home-y, peasant-ish interior? A pure joy. The warm cherry strudl was fantastic (and that's saying something because I don't usually like cherry.)
I love returning to a city I have previously visited. The familiarity, as well as the past memories, create a broader scope of a place, for me. Poor Steph, I am trying not to say, "When I was here last time..." too many times. I had to laugh out loud by the first thing I saw when I opened my map of Prague: a nighttime ghost tour ad. :) I know a few girls that can tell a really funny story about that one.
It's early in the a.m. and I cannot sleep. I'd better get off this and try to get a few more zzz's.

This is just a little addition for my girls that I traveled with this summer:
Look like a familiar site? Me and my camera. (Again.)

4 comments:

heather said...

Looks like you are having fun! I wish I was there with you again. Oh the memories. I hope you have a great birthday too. call me the minute you get home. I want to hear all about your trip.

mar said...

happy birthday beck! your blog made me smile as i remembered prague fondly as well :) you look beautiful as always!

-marisa

Peg said...

Train rides in Europe always seem to have some distinctive memory or story, right? Dinner as you described it (food and setting) sounds perfect for Prague.

Tammy said...

How fun! I guess I won't try to call you and sing happy birthday! Tell Steph hi!!