Sunday, November 23, 2008

My first foray in the kitchen

I feel almost like a grown up. Last Sunday, I cooked my first turkey and made my first batch of mashed potatoes. We still had leftover turkey that I picked from the carcass (Eeww.) I couldn't let all this food go to waste, so I decided to make soup. I felt like my mom.
I made a chili with the dark turkey and a broth based rice soup for the white meat. I must say they both were so good. I have never made homemade soup. Ever. I just used what was in my fridge and cupboard. (Since it was Sunday, I couldn't go to the store.) My soups were quick and easy to prepare. I am amazed. I feel like a just passed a little milestone.
I know many of you are married and fix real meals all the time, but my life is a bit different. I rarely prepare a full meal for myself. I enjoy hummus and celery, jasmine rice and curry sauce, and edamame. Those are my staples. Most Sundays I collaborate with my friends to make a combined dinner.
Now I feel like when the time comes for me to plan meals, I can do it. It isn't going to be too hard. I think I'll even enjoy it.

7 comments:

Paige said...

You are too cute! You can come cook at my house any time! I still go through phases where I don't mind cooking and then when I absolutely hate it. Probably because I have picky kids that won't eat anything but hot dogs, chicken nuggets, pb&j and top ramen. I'm so proud of you though! I don't make homemade soup!

laura kate said...

Yum! Yum! Way to go chef beck. Looks like years of being su chef for years paid off.

Lissy Sarvela said...

Beckster! Well done. Way to get your mind off shopping. :) that's a j.k. I am really proud of you. My little sis is all grown up. P.S. What up with the disgustingly CUTE background? I LOVE IT!!!!

Peg said...

Sorry to blow your cover, but you have been a good cook for years, you just don't do it all that often. You are pretty adventurous too, as I recall, sometimes "inspired". [except you girls all treat baking like an exact science, which is probably the reason for your notable successes there too :)]

darcie said...

hey beck, it's time for me to repay the memory you left on my blog. there are so many, but i'll just pick one. last thanksgiving, we stayed behind while everyone else did who knows what...i guess we were early getting up there and maybe everyone hadn't arrived yet. anyway, we watched a good year together in the sunshiney living room just being lazy bums. isn't that the best?! love you beck.

Tammy said...

Peg said it...um, you made my wedding cake!! I am proud of you though. Doesn't it feel like a total accomplishment? I am impressed. You need to share your recipes!

Rachelle said...

Sadly all of my fun recipes don't get much use with my "Paige-like" repertoire of hot dogs and chicken nuggets these days, but it's so great to practice and learn new things so way-to-go Becky! I'm sooo impressed that you made a good turkey as I've been married for 9 years and still manage to ruin mine every time I attempt it. You'll have to give me a few pointers.
Anyway- Lets catch up, for real, soon. Miss ya!